Updated: Nov 13, 2020
We will start with the most popular questions of our couples who are looking for the opportunity to get married in Georgia.
So, TOP-3 of the frequently asked questions:
1. What documents do we need to get married in Georgia?
From this question, we usually start good news for our clients. Georgia is a very friendly country and for registration of the official marriage, you will need only your passports! Please, pay attention, that it should be the same documents you will cross the border with.
If you were married before we will require a properly legalized divorce certificate also.
And we will care about all other paperwork.
2. Will the marriage certificate issued in Georgia be legal in my country?
Yes, the marriage certificate from Georgia is legal for all over the world. But different countries require for the different attesting procedure to use it.
There are 3 types of attestation procedures:
1. The countries not requiring legalization (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, etc.)
All we need to do if we have to proceed for this country is just to translate the marriage certificate from the Georgian language to the language of this country and get the notary certification.
2. The countries which accept apostille (USA, Great Britain, Australia, Germany, France, Latvia, Lithuania, etc.)
The countries signed Hague convention 1961 are accepting universal verifying certificate - apostille.
For these countries we have 2-steps procedure: translation of the marriage certificate from Georgian and obtaining the apostille from the Ministry of international affairs.
3. The countries requiring legalization (UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Canada, etc.)
These countries need the most complicated procedure: translation, verification by the Ministry of international affairs and legalizing from the Embassy of your country in Georgia or other close countries.
And the last question for today:
3. How many days do we need to stay in Georgia for the marriage registration?
You will be surprised, but you do not need even a day! All procedures will take around one hour as we will have all the documents prepared in advance. And then you can take your marriage certificate and fly back! If you need full legalization we can manage with this in 3 business days only! Or we just will send it to you via express post!
We will continue our blog and tell you a lot of important details for the planning of your wedding in Georgia! But if you still have some questions, please, don't hesitate to ask our operators!
WG team is waiting for you!